November 19, 2015

Train Day in October

We decided to have a family adventure and take Amtrak to the train museum.  I had been lamenting the fact that we hadn't ever taken Benjamin to such a special place that we knew he'd love.  We wanted to make it there before he turned five, and we did!  I wasn't surprised by how much we all enjoyed the museum, but I WAS surprised at how much we enjoyed the ride on the train.  What a relaxing way to travel!  The train ride made me realize how stressful it is to drive...at least, it is where we live!  I'm posting wayyy after this actually happenened, so I won't remember all of the details, but I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Benjamin borrowed this book from the library at my friend Hannah's suggestion, and he and I both loved it.  We had it for the maximum nine weeks, and we also ended up buying him his own copy for Christmas.  I highly recommend the book and the author/illustrator, Brian Floca.  







One of the things I love about our train museum is the way we can go inside of cars and engines and learn about them from an expert.  This woman spent time with our kids - twice this day - to tell them all about the sleeper car.

This "engineer" spent time with Benjamin in particular, who knew all about the parts inside the engine, thanks to the Locomotive book.  This engine (you'll see the outside in pictures below) was made during WWII by Rosie the Riveter types - female factory workers.





Pick up the phone and hear about the engine.  I remember this feature from my childhood...it's still a kid-pleaser!





Here we are on the mail car.  This gentleman actually served on mail cars for decades and had really fascinating stories about being armed because his car was carrying cash without him realizing it.  Benjamin was a fan!


We had to take an ice cream break!

Of course, the wooden train area is always a hit.


Check out this old advertisement.  Times have changed, right?!


Some of these are out of order because some of them are from Jeff's phone, but still..enjoy!











No comments: