December 27, 2010

Benjamin's Arrival, Part 1

Early in the morning December 17. Could I possibly get any bigger? Not likely.
My mom came over early to get the kids up, dressed, and breakfasted, and then a sitter came to stay with them so that Mom could be at the hospital when the baby arrived. A neighbor helped me get Jonathan to and from school. I was thankful for the help! Mom braided my hair for me. When Jonathan and Grace were born, I remember thinking it would be soothing to have Mom braid my hair, but it was short (and we were out of state when J. was born.) This time, she braided it for me, and I was so thankful to have it out of the way during surgery and recovery.

Waiting to be wheeled into surgery. I was having contractions, but I didn't know it. My ribs would go through excruciating pain, which I was used to, and then the nurse would tell me that I was having a contraction. The problem was that the contractions were pushing the baby up, not down. I'm not sure labor would have been very productive with this baby. Things were going in the wrong direction!

And here HE is...our boy! Benjamin Jeffrey, 9 lbs., 12 oz., 20.5" long, born at 9:21 a.m. He's my shorty of the three. :) He cried right away, which was so reassuring. As soon as he was out, someone in the OR (don't remember who?) told me we made a good decision to have a C-section. His head was already bigger than J or G's were, and he was a week early. We were just so overwhelmed and thankful to have him here safely, and grateful for the gift of our baby boy.

Quick mommy & daddy moment

First bath

A moment for the little guy to relax.



My boy.


Proud daddy.

More posts to follow...

2 comments:

VM Family said...

Awesome post! Sooo glad Benjamin is finally here! Don't you love how they each have such a different birth story?

Allison Bellomy said...

can't wait to hear more about it. you look great and I can't believe how big he was! Have fun learning to be a family of FIVE! :)