The details are below for those of you who want to know...maybe just the grandmas? For the rest of you, the baby continues to get bigger and pass its NSTs. No delivery date planned yet. Now, details...
I had my most recent NST and met with the midwife just after 37 weeks. The baby is still doing fine. I am continuing to dilate, but only to a 2, which is nothing to write home about. She said that we need to pray for the baby and talk to the baby so that it will come down lower. (Which will hopefully help with how I'm feeling, because the pain has gotten worse.) In order for the midwife to break my water and deliver the baby, the baby's head needs to be very low. (Grace was induced at 41 weeks and I was already dilated to a 4 1/2 before being induced. My midwife assures me that we will not be waiting until 41 weeks this time!) Right now there is so much fluid that the baby is just floating around, and if she broke my water, there is a possibility that the umbilical cord would come out first, which would be very dangerous. (That's also one of the complications of polyhydramnios that I've read about.) Also, she said that girls' lungs mature before boys', and since we don't know the gender of this baby, she'd like to see us wait until 38.5 weeks before taking any action to deliver the baby. (That's in line with the timing the perinatologist mentioned.) I had never heard that about boy/girl lungs before. This midwife, who also delivered Grace, said she's comfortable with me delivering an 8 or 9 lb. baby, but she's leery of anything over 10.
People are asking a lot about the possibility of a c-section, and she hasn't mentioned it yet. The medical folks seem to be taking this one appointment at a time rather than making longer-term plans for the baby. Whatever we need to get the baby into the world safely, we'll do it.
I have one more AFI and one more NST this week. Jeff just got back from his final business trip for 2010, and Jonathan's birthday is Friday. We're having a very small family gathering for him on Saturday morning. I hope we can make him feel special as he turns six even though I have so little to give right now.
3 comments:
Six??? That does not seem possible! Time really does fly!
I am happy to read your updates and join your adventure! Can't wait to hear the big news!
Hugs to J & G!
You're in our thoughts and prayers, Amy. My last weeks being pregnant with Jack were a little scary so I know how you're feeling. Blessings!!!
thanks for the update. will continue to pray for you and baby! Happy early birthday to Jonathan...seems like we were just pregnant with our first boys!
Post a Comment