July 2, 2014

Sidetracked: The Peasant Dress

Well, we had a wonderful time at family camp, and I will blog about it as promised, but I'm going to get sidetracked for a bit and share some sewing I've been doing.  When I was planning what I'd do during my downtime at camp (oh, how wonderful it is to have time to myself there!) I realized that I was itching to do some sewing, that my daughter will not always think it's wonderful when I sew for her, and that I had a lot of fabric stashed (hoarded?) that I should use before the opportunity passed by.  And then I saw this free pattern on Pinterest, and I knew I had found my project.  I mostly followed her simple instructions, but I used a different method for the elastic casings on the sleeves, and I added the contrasting border to the first dress.

Here are the dresses I made for Grace at family camp.  (I'll blog about the skirts next.)  I didn't buy new fabric or thread for any of them, so they were free, sort of.  I only have photos of her wearing one of them because the other two are for her to grow into.  The first one is my favorite, though.  I bought the fabric for aprons years ago, but instead I used it to make this dress and this one:


When it gets too short, she can wear it as a shirt with jeans or leggings.  Definitely my favorite.

I used this fabric years ago and made this diaper bag for Grace, and this dress for Grace.  The sleeves are full-length, so I think it will fit either this fall or next fall.  If you looked at the free pattern, you know that this dress looks way cuter on, as we'll see when she grows into it.

I had this fabric on hand because I planned to make a pillowcase dress out of it, but I changed my mind and made a peasant dress instead.  The sleeves are not full-length because I only had 1/4 yard of the dark purple, so I think it will fit Grace this fall.
 Special thanks to Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom for the wonderful pattern.  It was easy to use, with quick and super-cute results!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Your dresses come out so cute! I love the fabric choices!
~Jamie

Jennifer (Doherty) Brown said...

Oh my goodness those are just the sweetest dresses ever! I want one!