So, anyway, we were all ready, after lots of pep talking, to do Level 2 lessons. He may be in level 2 for every session he takes this summer, and that's fine! I was not sure how it would go with Grace along, but I got Jonathan sunscreened, fed her, loaded up the car, and made it to the lesson in plenty of time. There were seven kids in his class, and his two teachers were Ms. Erika and Ms. Chelsea from last year. The new Ella was even in his class. She looks older, though, as she has short hair now and has completed kindergarten, so I don't think Jonathan recognized her at first.
Jonathan did really well. I know he had to work very hard to get his face in the water, but he did it several times without whining, and I was really proud of him. I think these two weeks will be a really good experience for him. It's good practice for him to follow directions in a group whenever he can. He's very willing to do it, but I don't think he always realizes that the teacher means him, too, when she is talking to everyone. While he was in the pool, Gracie and I walked laps around the inside perimeter of the pool area. All the other parents sat in the bleachers. I don't know what they were thinking about what I was doing, but I really enjoyed getting some exercise. I'm pretty excited to get half an hour of walking squeezed in each day instead of just sitting (and I can't imagine that Gracie would be too excited about just sitting.) This is the first real exercise I've done in a long time (besides climbing our stairs during the day) and it feels good.
It feels like an accomplishment to be able to do this by myself with two kids. Not that it's that big of a deal, but it's a new thing for me.
4 comments:
Yay, Mommy Amy! I'm proud of you for walking.
Nathan takes his first parent-less swimming class this summer too. I'm not willing to get him in a class at the outdoor pool because the weather could occasionally be questionable and his lips turn blue if the house is less than 70 degrees (no insulation, I guess... his pulse ox is fine). :-)
It is a big deal. It's a big deal anytime a mom does something for the first time and that something is successful! Job well done, my friend. Love, Karyn
Congrats, Amy! Our experience didn't go as well:-( I think Andrew might be a little young yet at 3.5. Anika did great. And. . . I didn't manage it alone - this time. Lloyd was ablet to sneak out to see the kids and it turned out to be a good thing. He watched Kat while I worked with Andrew. Now. . . just 9 more times:-) Andrew tells me now that he is going to do it tomorrow. Many prayers are going up tonight:-)
Way to go, Jonathan and Amy! Sounds like a VERY successful day to me.
I think the little capsule incentives for Jonathan sounds like a great idea. I'm glad that helped him. We had to do some "incentivising" this week too with Max: for a haircut.... like you said, not a big deal for some kids, but very traumatic for Max for some reason.
So glad today went well!
Post a Comment