My purpose in posting is not to persuade you that you should do this but just to answer questions about what we do. I'm sure I'll come back and edit my mistakes, so please bear with me. There are lots of moms more qualified to write about this, like Jamie, or Dana, or Leslie, or Dorothy, or Michele, or Aleasia, or...the list goes on. And, there are lots of easier and fancier and cuter ways to cloth diaper, but this is how I started, and it worked and was cheap, so I stuck with it.
Something I should mention, before I get into the details, is that technically, we're all supposed to empty solid waste from all diapers into the toilet, not the trash. I believe it's even illegal to put the solids in the trash, and disposable diaper packages used to include these instructions anyway. So, to me, since I needed to do the dumping no matter what, it wasn't that much more trouble to jump to cloth from disposables.
While I was expecting Jonathan, my friend Jamie, who had cloth diapered her three girls, gave me half a dozen Chinese prefold diapers, some liners, and a couple of Snappis. This is all I had when we got started. I was very nervous, and Jeff was very skeptical. When Jonathan was about six months old, I decided to give cloth diapering a try. I used cloth only in the daytime and washed my tiny stash of diapers each night. After a week or so, I realized it wasn't that bad! I bought a couple of dozen Chinese prefold (standard size) diapers on eBay as well as some more reusable liners, and I bought some vinyl pants at Wal-Mart, and off we went.
As Jeff says, "The liners are KEY!" I think these may be discontinued, but here's what I use. These are up against baby's skin. They look something like a dryer sheet, but they're very soft. They're washable. They keep the solid waste from sticking to the diaper. I never, ever swish a poopy diaper in the toilet like my mom had to. The contents dump easily into the toilet.

Yes, this is a teddy bear. A much more willing model than my squirmy daughter. So I pull up the liner...

The three ends of the Snappi have grippy teeth on them. I use the snappi to grip the diaper from one hip...

Here's another fold that I have used a lot when the diapers are just a bit too big. It's called the bikini fold. I am not kidding. Pull up the liner, then twist the diaper once and pull it up to baby's tummy.

Vinyl pants, or the cover of your choice, can go on top. The cover's job is not to contain drips, but to stop the diaper from touching baby's clothes. If a little of the diaper sticks out and touches clothing, the clothing will wick the moisture and you'll have a leak on your hands. I rarely have had this happen. Disposables leak for me all the time, but cloth hardly ever.

And here's how the diaper looks on a real baby bum, with big thanks to the bear.
We cloth diaper at night, too, but we need a doubler to make it all night. I just fold another diaper in thirds and lay it long-way in the middle of the diaper.
You might wonder about washing. There is a great article about it here. I have a five-gallon bucket in the nursery, and I put wet/soiled diapers in there until it's time to wash. My bucket holds about 20 diapers, and when it gets full, I wash.
First, I put everything except Snappis in the machine and run a rinse cycle. Then I wash the load in hot water using our regular detergent, with an extra rinse cycle at the end. Afterwards, I air-dry the liners and plastic pants but machine-dry the diapers. And that's it!
Also, I didn't start Jonathan on cloth until he was almost six months old, but I started Grace much earlier, when she was just a few weeks old. I bought infant size Chinese prefolds for that age. The only two sizes I have used are infant and standard.
And, I do use disposables sometimes. When we travel, it's not practical to bring cloth diapers, especially on flights. It is just too bulky for us to use up baggage space on cloth diapers, and if we're making a long road trip, our car doesn't have a ton of cargo space for that type of thing, either. But, we use cloth as much as we can, and we have the option to use disposables in a pinch.
I haven't started using cloth wipes because I have a big stash of disposable wipes that I got for nearly nothing. But, I have been considering making some cloth wipes out of Jeff's old undershirts. There is a good article on making your own liners and wipes here.
So, if you're still reading, I'm amazed, but I thought I'd write out the list of pros and cons to cloth diapers, as I see them:
Pros:
Cheap!
You can still supplement with disposables as needed
One purchase of 2-3 dozen standard diapers took Jonathan from age 6 mos. to potty training, and I'm using them again on Grace
Hardly ever leak
No guilt about landfills, chemicals, etc.
Cost is not a motivation for when to potty train
No midnight runs to the store
Minimal problems with diaper rash
Baby's pants never fall down :)
No worries about cost when I have a baby who poops 4-6 times daily (sorry, I tried to warn you about the poop factor)
Cons:
Diapers have to be changed a little more often
Some baby pants won't fit over cloth diapers (especially girl pants!)
They take slightly longer to change
A little tricky to teach other people to use
People think you're odd ;)
Please let me know if you have questions on cloth diapers you'd like me to post about!
Edit #1: If you do get curious about trying cloth sometime, I highly recommend finding a friend and borrowing a bit of her stuff to give it a try. Then you can try it without the financial commitment. If you don't have a nearby friend who uses cloth diapers, I would recommend buying just a very few items and washing them often until you're sure you want to go for it. And if you do decide to use cloth diapers, it's very easy to do so for under $100.
7 comments:
My burning question...how often do you do wash, and does the bucket of used cloth diapers emit any unhappy odors...?
I end up washing every 2-3 days, occasionally every 4 if I have supplemented with disposables. I wouldn't let them sit longer than that because of your other question. One load of laundry every 2-3 days doesn't seem like too much, esp. since I don't have to fold the diapers like I do other laundry.
As long as the lid is on flat, no odors come out, but if it's ajar a bit or I let the bucket get too full, then yes, there is a smell. So, I just don't do that. :)
There are other, better solutions to the diaper bucket issue that you can find on the cloth diaper blog in the sidebar.
So, are the liners disposable or do you wash them as well?
The ones I use are washable. They do wear out eventually, but it takes a long time if you keep them out of the dryer.
There are disposable ones out there, too, but I have never tried them.
And, you don't need to use liners or dump the solids in the toilet with newborns (before they eat food) because it's all liquid anyway. Sorry for the graphic detail. :)
My sister-in-law found some great cloth diapers on the internet that have an insert and grow with the baby. They come in really cute colors and because they have snaps, you don't have to worry about the tri-fold deal. I change my nephew and it is just as easy as a disposable. She was able to try several different kinds she found on the internet and pick her favorite. Good for you mom!
great post Amy! yeah cloth diapers!
Great post, Amy! Very informative to see how cloth diapering plays out in every day life for you all!
I was surprised to read your statistic about only 5% of babies in the US being cloth diapered. I have been curious about this. Apparently my friends are not following this trend. The majority of my high school and college buddies with babies in diapers right now are cloth diapering. Interesting.
Post a Comment