December 12, 2010

A Weekend of Celebrating

It's late Sunday evening and I'm about to turn into a pumpkin, but I thought I'd post to let you know that a) No, I'm not at the hospital and b) Jonathan and I both had really nice birthdays.  We had a very simple, very small, brunch-time birthday party for him on Saturday morning.  (Muffins, my mom's famous cinnamon rolls, juice, coffee, gifts, and cupcakes.)  Something I have discovered as a parent and some of you may have also discovered as parents is that the way to a parent's heart is through the kiddo.  Even though the birthday party is to celebrate Jonathan and not to make sure he gets gifts, I was really touched by the way everyone seemed to thoughtfully choose a gift for him.  He received a variety of special things and he loved every one.  He is enjoying the things to play with (and build and read!) as well as the PJs and shirts that he needed.  Special thanks to everyone who thought of him around his birthday time and at his party, too.

My birthday was today, and it was quiet and relaxing.  (I would have gladly accepted a non-relaxing day due to our baby's arrival, but that was not how today went.  It was a good day, though!)  Lots of people made me feel special, and Jeff was very sweet to make sure I didn't have to do much.  Today was the first day in a long time that, for whatever reason (?) I could sit on the couch comfortably, and after we went to church this morning, I put in a lot of time on the couch!  We relaxed all day and went out to look at Christmas lights tonight.  (Last week, Jeff had a business trip that started first thing Sunday morning, so it was especially great to have him home this week!)  All I wanted to do today was spend time at home with our little family, and that's what I got to do.

I never would have predicted that I would be 36 years old and 38 weeks pregnant.  36 sounds so middle-agey and grown up.  I guess it is.  I am prepared to enjoy it and thankful for the blessings of this season of life.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I'm hoping that you were more comfortable because baby dropped...???
Happy birthday, dear friend. Sorry I didn't call. I'll give you a buzz today.