October 1, 2011

More Stuff She Says

This post has been brewing for a month, and is starting to get outdated, so I need to publish it now!  The top part is about Grace, but I'll talk about the boys down at the bottom...

Gracie, yelling:  My owie wants a Band-Aid!
Me:  Well, how should it ask?
Gracie:  It doesn't have a mouth to ask!
---------------------------------------------------------
In the restaurant, sitting in a booth with a booster seat, and her feet up on the seat.
Gracie:  My feet aren't down.
Me:  That's OK.
Gracie:  Could you please tell me to put my feet down.
Me:  OK, Gracie, please put your feet down.
Gracie:  That was very polite.  (Puts feet up again.)  Could you tell me again?
---------------------------------------------------------
Gracie:  I'm buckling the cup to give it some privacy.
---------------------------------------------------------
Gracie:  Where's Grandpa __________?  (My dad)
Me:  In heaven with Jesus.
Gracie:  He died.
Me:  Yes.
Gracie:  Out of his house.
Me:  Yes.
Gracie:  Oh, I'm sorry, Mommy.

---------------------------------------------------------
Me:  We're going to go in to Grandpa's house.
Gracie:  Can I get checked?
Me:  No, Grace, remember, Grandpa's in heaven.
Gracie:  Singing?
---------------------------------------------------------

OK,  deep breath, on to Benjamin.  You might not remember, but I worried about Grace a bit when she didn't babble with consonants when "the books" said she should.  She was pretty late but finally did it around seven months old.  Benjamin has been much later.  He hasn't babbled with consonants (bababa, dadada, etc.) until today at nine months.  He started doing it out of the blue, and I love it.  For one thing, it's adorable, and for another thing, it's the promise of words down the road, and I just love the learning-to-talk stage.

And now Jonathan.  He is just devouring books, and I've done a little reading along with him.  One of his daily homework requirements is to spend at least ten minutes reading aloud.  Then he has to record the name of the book he read and has the option to write down any special thoughts and feelings about his reading time.  Needless to say, he doesn't share any thoughts or feelings, but when he's done reading to me for ten minutes, he usually wants to spend most of the rest of the afternoon reading to himself if we've chosen a good book.  I had forgotten how much I loved my old friends, Ramona Quimby and Laura Ingalls.  I was happy to meet each of them for the first time nearly 30 years ago, and I think I might be even happier now, meeting them once again.  Jonathan is totally hooked on the Ramona stories and I think he'll delve into Laura's world soon.  I'm hoping to find some books that are just as good as these but have main characters who are boys.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

Have you ever heard of the Sugar Creek Gang books? WONDERFUL! I think they're Moody Press, but I'll have to look for sure. Their main characters are all boys. Love them!
Love, Karyn

Jaynespace said...

Awesome! Can't wait for my kids to get to the reading stage so I can read all my old books without it being weird:)