April 30, 2013

Preparing for Easter

Easter was a month ago!  Time to blog about it!

Even though Easter is the most joyous day of the year, and the most important to us, it sometimes gets a big lost in the busyness of springtime.  Here are some things we did while we were getting ready to celebrate...

I'm happy to say that we were invited to an Easter celebration on Sunday afternoon, and I got to bring fruit!  I didn't have to cook!  Now that I have a trifle dish (which was very inexpensive and a fun way to serve food!) I thought I should make the rainbow fruit salad that would have been great for Grace's birthday party, only I didn't have time at that point to cut up a bunch of fruit.

I wasn't feeling "into" coloring eggs this year.  They're not really that significant or meaningful, but the tradition is fun, so Jeff persuaded me to do it with the kids.  Here they are in their pajamas, being their goofy selves.

By the way, I did try baking the eggs in the oven to boil them.  (I am terrible at boiling eggs - I always forget about them.)  It worked, and it was easy, but they were hard to peel.  I would do it again!



Jeff plays his trumpet in church once or twice a year (he plays his guitar all the time) and the kids love to listen to him practice.  Here we are hanging out in his office while he practices.  I was tired, obviously, and Jonathan was hamming it up for some camera self-portraits.



And Benjamin is a little ham all the time, whether there's a camera or not.

Of course, my little dancer had to make up some moves to the trumpeting.  She loves dancing around.

The main preparation that we found meaningful this year was reading out of the Jesus Storybook Bible.  I read one story at breakfast each day from the story of Jesus' life, so that by Good Friday we were reading about his death on the cross, and by Easter we were reading about God raising him from the dead and what happened afterwards.  If you are not familiar with the Jesus Storybook Bible, I highly recommend it for adults and kids alike.  It really helped us keep our minds set on what we were celebrating, which is certainly worth celebrating every day of the year!

No comments: