March 8, 2015

Crayons and Crafty Stuff

Not too long ago, the moms group that Benjamin and I attend had a fundraiser for the local foster care agency.  We worked for months to make whatever crafty things we could come up with, then sold them at a special event that we hosted for the community.  We raised just over $4,000 for the children and families this agency helps, which was really exciting.

I sewed some things, and made some Lego guy candies, but what sold the fastest were something the kids and I made from almost nothing:  Lego and snowflake crayons.  I say almost nothing because they at least didn't cost us anything.  We used old crayons from friends, broke them up, and melted them into new shapes in silicone candy molds and muffin molds.  Here are the kids helping with the paper peeling, which took a lot of time, but we started early and did it little by little.
Grace started after she had been really angry about something - I forget what - and she later told me, "It took the madness out of me."  Apparently a little bit of tearing paper diffuses her anger.  Noted!!!



These are just iPod pictures, so they are not very clear, but you can see that I stacked up different colors of each shape and sold them as a crayon set.  They were a hit…but all that paper peeling was time consuming.  Anybody who found themselves at my kitchen island had a chance to help.  I'm happy that we took something discarded and made money for an important cause and important people.


And, it will take me a few years to forget how much time this took, and then I'm sure I'll try it again.  Last time I made repurposed crayons, it was for a party favor for Grace's birthday party (hearts, I think?) which was really fun…at least, from what I remember!

No comments: