March 8, 2014

Fancy Nancy

For Christmas, we gave Grace a little boxed set of Fancy Nancy books from Costco.  (All the kids got a box of books:  She got these, Jonathan got a Roald Dahl set, and Benjamin got the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie series.  They have all been big hits.)  Her books came with a Fancy Nancy poster, and I decided to have it dry mounted on foam board so it would last a little longer than it would if we had tacked it to the wall.  The "youngers" and I took it to Hobby Lobby to get it mounted.  The poster did have a back, but it was pretty obvious to me which side was the back, so I didn't bother having the Hobby Lobby worker make a note of it.  I had a teeny suspicion that I should have asked her to do that, and it turns out I was right.  When I came back to pick up the poster, it was mounted backwards - with the back showing and the front glued to the foam board.  Grace noticed immediately and started crying.  (It seems everything makes her cry these days, but that's a subject for another post.)  The gal at Hobby Lobby was apologetic and suggested we might contact the publisher for another poster, which HL would mount for free.  A free poster is really not that big of a deal, but it was important to Grace, so I wanted to do something about it.

So...I called Harper Collins and left a voicemail.  A few days later (I'm guessing it took awhile to get to the right person's voicemail box) a very nice lady called me and offered to send a different, but still Fancy Nancy, poster to us.  And, the next day, there was a package she had sent via overnight air that contained a new (better) poster and...
ALL THESE BOOKS!  We were amazed and grateful.


Here's the poster.  We had it mounted - successfully, this time.  You can come see it in Grace's room.


Grace spent her entire rest time reading her new books, and they are fantastic.  I loved the Fancy Nancy character before, but I am a true fan now!  Grace and I both wrote thank-yous to the lady at Harper Collins who sent the package.  She didn't give her last name, so I hope our notes made it to her.  (I took a picture of Grace's note, but it must still be on my camera.  I'll post it here when I upload it.)  Edit:  Here's the link to the note.  What a huge bright spot in our week to get this surprise package!

No comments: