November 29, 2009

Kicking Off the Christmas Season

As promised, here are some more pictures of the fun night we had with Dave and Jen and all the kids on the day after Thanksgiving. This beats Black Friday madness, don't you think?
Ella and Delia are Play-doh experts and cranked cookies out quickly. I didn't realize that my two cookie sheets wouldn't be able to keep up with three little cookie makers! (I must confess that I used store-bought dough. I'm not much of a baker, but I didn't want that to slow down our fun!)

Two years ago when we got together and only Jonathan and Ella made cookies, our two kids didn't seem so young to us. But when Jen and I looked at Delia, we realized that's how old J. and E. were last time we had done this. We thought nothing, at the time, of getting our two-year-olds together to bake cookies. I guess that's the fate of the oldest children...we always expect a lot of them. They didn't seem to mind at all, as you can see in this quick movie I took. And also this one. They were awfully cute!

(Oh my goodness, do these look like my mom's hands, or what?) I thought it might be fun to put cookie dough in the molds my sister found for me in the Target dollar section last year. It was fun. And yummy.

Getting ready to taste the fruits of their labor.


After the girls were done making cookies and decided to go play upstairs, Jonathan stuck with it. He was very focused. The adults got to chat while the girls played and Jonathan kept going with the little bit of dough that was left. (Grace was in bed by this time.) It's so fun to see the personalities of each of our kids come out as they grow. We really enjoyed starting the Christmas season with our dear friends. Maybe it's the start of a Christmas tradition!

2 comments:

VM Family said...

Oh man! Those old movies are a riot to watch! :)

Thanks again for organizing this fun get-together. The girls color with their new markers every day and Dave is even stealing your idea and doing a Christmas cookie decorating party with his Jr. High youth group tonight!

Wicker Family said...

Your comment about your hands made me laugh! I look at my hands and think the same thing -- when did these hands become mine, they always used to belong to my mother:-)

Looks like a great time was had by all. I'm going to put off making cookies for a little while yet or there won't be any left by Christmas. . .