January 1, 2010

More About Snowshoeing

In case the photos don't let you know, I thought I'd mention that the snowshoeing was amazing. There was plenty of untouched, powdery snow for us to make our own trails and feel like we really got way out into God's creation even though we weren't super far from the road.

Jeff and I first went snowshoeing together when we were newly married. We rented snowshoes when we were out visiting his family (I think we went with his sister, Michelle?) and really enjoyed it. It's supposed to be great exercise, but we enjoyed it anyway. :) After we moved out here and had this experience in the snow, we were inspired to get snowshoes. I think Jeff found his on Craigslist, and mine were a Mother's Day gift a couple of years ago. Now that Grace has taken Jonathan's former position in the kid backpack (and he is really too big to ride anyway,) we decided to find him a pair of kid snowshoes. Thanks again to Craigslist, he got some for Christmas.

Our main snowshoeing objective when we went to the snow a couple of days ago was to make sure he had a positive experience snowshoeing so that he would want to do it again. (Note: "Going to the snow" is what it's called here. I didn't know that was a regional expression until I came back. I guess that, since the snow does not come to us, we go to it. Another funny but common one is "Back East," as in, "Are you going Back East for Christmas?" As far as I can tell, Back East is anyplace east of the mountains. Correct me if I'm wrong, local friends. But I digress.) Jonathan loved snowshoeing. He loved the snow in general. Stomping it in, picking it up, falling in it...he had a great time. Jeff even took Jonathan to try ice skating while I let Grace have a nap in our hotel room. It was a great little trip.

Our trip taught us a bit more about the snow gear that our kids will need if we want to snowshoe again. We need warmer gear for Grace, especially, and from now on, I'll watch for deals on snow pants and possibly boots for Jonathan at the end of each season. I found a great snow suit for Grace at The Children's Place today. It's very pink and is one piece from hood to toe. And it was $12. I was very happy about that. Hopefully it will mean a happier baby the next time we venture out.

If you are local and want to borrow our snowshoes sometime, please let us know. You're in for a fun little adventure!

1 comment:

Karyn said...

How funny!
Never really thought of "going to the snow" and "back east" as regional phrases, but they completely are!
Memories...