Benjamin decided that he needed to be just like his brother and sister...so he fell down and bashed his front teeth. Jonathan was just about this age when he fell and bonked his teeth for the first time, which you can see if you go to our original blog and search for "dentist." And if you go to this blog and search for "dentist," lots of things will come up, because keeping our teeth intact seems to be an issue we have in our family!
Anyway, he was in his two-year-old class at Bible study, riding a trike around a cushioned, rubbery track (thank goodness for cushion) and he fell off and landed face first. One of the ladies came to get me, and he was almost inconsolable, dripping blood and drool...it wasn't pretty. Here's a picture after I got him into the car. Of course, Grace was there, too. I called the dentist and got an appointment for the following day.
Here he is after I got him cleaned up a bit. Poor guy. He was really hurting.
His lip and teeth were so uncomfortable that he couldn't even take a bite of applesauce, which is a huge treat for him. (It was the only cold/soft food I had on hand, so I was thankful to at least have applesauce!) Grace showed him how to take licks of the applesauce, which made a huge mess but did get a little bit of lunch - a very little - into his tummy. His teeth were still oozing blood a bit when I put him down for his nap.
The nap helped a lot. Here he is afterwards, with Cookie Monster, getting ready to go get his brother at school.
We went to the dentist the next day, and I have done this so many times with my kids who have bashed their teeth, I knew what to expect for the most part. (They had him step on the scale there, and he weighed 40 lbs., by the way. Same as Grace.) His x-rays looked OK and we are supposed to watch for changes over the next couple of months. Nobody was alarmed at his 7-8 mm overbite (Jonathan's was 13 at this age, and the dentist was alarmed) so I'm not going to take away his finger-sucking habit yet. His teeth are not chipped, but they are superficially cracked. That won't matter unless he falls on them again. Oh, my. He was very happy to be at the dentist's office and was a champ the whole time. Oh, and I didn't mention this, but we had all been at the dentist's office less than a week earlier for Jonathan and Grace's checkups. The hygienist was bugging me to start bringing him in, so I made an appointment for his first checkup, along with his siblings, in six months. But, just like his siblings, he had to make sure that his first appointment was for trauma, not a cleaning. Sigh.
The office wasn't very busy, so they let Grace lay in a chair and watch movies in the ceiling, too.
You may notice that my pictures are less than fabulous. Jeff was hiking and had our real camera, so my iPod pictures had to suffice. (We still have our old digital camera, but I hadn't gotten it loaded with batteries yet.)
As I was perusing old blog posts about taking the kids to the dentist, I got caught up in looking at posts of Jonathan at this age. It's so fun to click on those old movies and hear him talk. I'll try to post a clip or two of Benjamin talking, because I know I'll want to go back and hear him someday! Benjamin plays so differently than Jonathan did. I know people notice the similarities between them, but they are so very different, too! I blogged so much better about Jonathan than I do about Benjamin. Someday when I make his scrapbook, I hope I remember enough about these days to do some decent journaling in his book.
Back to the teeth topic...Benjamin is healing well, and his lip is scabbed up but recovering quickly. He has been a good sport, and I'm very thankful that nothing worse happened that day. Jeff was out of town, so the timing would have been "perfect."




No comments:
Post a Comment