As I mentioned earlier, I had some time to myself at family camp to do some sewing for Grace with some fabric I already had. After looking through my stash, I planned to make three peasant dresses and possibly some simple skirts using a tutorial from the same blog as the peasant dress pattern.
I tend to do my clothes shopping for the kids a few months to a year ahead of time, and shop from the clearance racks for clothes for them to grow into. I don't go to Gymboree often, but when I do, I'm usually able to find items for the same price as Target or Kohl's…or less. And since they hold up so well, I'm always happy about that. I had a top for Grace that I had found but without a coordinating bottom. And then I realized that I had the perfect fabric for a skirt already on hand. I had planned to make a dress or something with it, but the skirt would be even better. The ruffle is made from a fabric that I used to make a replacement diaper bag for the first diaper bag I made. Somehow I didn't take a picture of the second one, but I used it a lot and wore right through it. The colors are a little crazy on these pictures for some reason, so use your imagination! Here's the first skirt and top. She can wear these to kindergarten this fall.
After I found the match above, I decided to look through the clearance racks and see if there were any t-shirts hanging around that would match my fabric stash. I found some! I decided to make a total of three dresses and three skirts at camp, but after bruising my tailbone and catching a slight cold, I didn't finish the final two at camp. I sewed them at home, which means I shirked some of my normal home responsibilities, but they waited for me! Here's the second skirt. The top section is made from a fat quarter I had on hand, and the ruffle is made from more of the above ruffle fabric and another fat quarter I had on hand. It's a little goofy with the three different fabrics, but I like it.
And here's the final skirt. I made it out of fabric I had leftover from this dress. She'll probably wear this one next year as it's a little bigger, and so is the T-shirt.
Thanks again to Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom for this tutorial. It was quick and satisfying to make. Oh, and I followed her very easy directions except that, instead of making the ruffle two times the width of the skirt, I made it three times as wide. I wanted a very ruffly ruffle! Grace is really happy with her dresses and skirts, and I think they'll each fit her for a couple of years because of the forgiving fit of each one.


1 comment:
Very cute skirts and I love how full the ruffles are!
~Jamie
(Be sure to link this up at our Sunday Link party.)
Post a Comment