July 18, 2014
How to Catch a Frog
The other kids were in bed and Jonathan was up a bit late, with Jeff and me, looking at a math workbook full of decimals and fractions, which was the kind of workbook he requested from the local teacher supply store. He was explaining a very elaborate method for finding the least common denominator of a pair of fractions. His method was elaborate, and it did find a common denominator, but not the least common denominator, which I told him. So he told me, "There's more ways to catch a frog that just putting a cup over it." Which I thought was a very funny and clever metaphor. (Poor Jeff was caught in between us.) I told him that I wanted to share his quote. And he said, "That's fine, my talking isn't under copyright." Ha! And then I explained to him that even though there are other methods for frog catching besides the cup method, he'd need to learn how to do it with the cup before he used his own methods for catching frogs. And he knows he's going to have the mandatory opportunity to learn the more typical way of finding the least common denominator, even if he prefers to use his own seventeen-step method later. Love that crazy kid!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment