and all is well, so far. I had my two NSTs and one AFI this week because of polyhydramnios (that's what my amniotic fluid issue is called) and met with the midwife (a different one in the same practice this time.) It's always interesting to hear another opinion.
The NSTs looked good and the AFI held steady. (I did a better job of getting the baby to wake up and jump around today.) She mentioned that sometimes in women with polyhydramnios, your body can "decide" that you are big enough and your water can break early because of that. She said that I'm far enough along that if my water did break, I should come to the hospital and they wouldn't likely try to stop me from delivering or need to give the baby steroids to develop the lungs. (Umbilical cord prolapse, placental abruption, and postpartum bleeding are risks for women with polyhydramnios. All this information is good and everything, but sometimes it's too much and just provides more things to worry about that I can't control.) She looked at all the percentiles from the measurements of the baby's different parts at the level 2 ultrasound. She said that the head was very big (no surprise there) but that the abdomen is not as big, and she'd be much more concerned if the abdomen was disproportionately large compared to the head. Apparently, that's common in babies exposed to gestational diabetes, which can cause polyhydramnios, and it gives them a higher risk of getting stuck during birth.
I am still really nervous about getting this baby out safely and that it might be too big, so I appreciate your prayers for the baby's safe delivery.
So, I made it through my first week of three appointments. This midwife recommended that we stick with the plan of NSTs and AFIs, and I'm grateful to have care for Grace taken care of for the NSTs for the next two weeks (which puts us through Thanksgiving...can't believe it's that time already!) Thanks to all my helpers, and I'll keep you posted!
No comments:
Post a Comment