We tackled something completely new to us this spring: We put the kids on a swim team. Their swimming lesson instructors had suggested it last summer, and we investigated it for awhile, and decided to jump in (pun intended.) If you know us at all, you probably have noticed that competitive/team sports are not a thing for our family, so swim team involved a huge learning curve for all of us - especially me. And if you've read the posts about a stressful May, I should explain that an unprecedented number of school programs and head lice contributed greatly to the stress, but so did swim team. Between the programs and swim practices, it seemed we had a commitment every afternoon. We are a family that prefers to spend most afternoons/evenings at home, so this was a drastic change for us.
Anyway, here are the kids on their first day of swim team. We got to try it out for a couple of weeks before committing. I knew it was going to be very difficult for me personally since I was the one in charge of getting the kids to practices and sitting through them as well. Nevertheless, Jeff and I decide to commit.
We weren't really sure whether Benjamin would fulfill the requirement of being able to swim across the pool unassisted. But, by the time the kids were tested on this skill, he did. I was proud of how hard all three kids worked and how determined they were. All three learned a lot of swimming skills that they wouldn't have learned otherwise. The change was dramatic in all three kids, but especially Benjamin.
Grace is here with her best buddy and the best buddy's cousin.
Popsicles were for sale once a week after practice. Those were our favorite days, of course. More posts about swim team in June and July coming soon!





No comments:
Post a Comment