Benjamin has three official words right now: mama, uh-oh, and vroom-vroom. Everything else falls under the category for "unh." He has several different grunts that seem to get his point across, just by the tone of his voice and his gestures.
Last night we went out to dinner at Red Robin, the kids' favorite restaurant. We hadn't been there in awhile, and they were super excited. Dinner went pretty well - as well as it can with kids this age! When Benjamin was done, he got pretty mad until we got him out and I walked around with him outside. (One of the great things about Red Robin is that it is loud, and nobody gives you dirty looks if your kid yells or wiggles.)
While I entertained Benjamin, Jeff came out with Grace and Jonathan, who both got balloons on their way out. Jonathan volunteered to let Benjamin hold his balloon on the way home. You should have seen the look of bliss on Benjamin's face. I thought it was really sweet of Jonathan. On the way home, Benjamin accidentally popped Jonathan's balloon. They were both devastated. Benjamin was crying, and then Jonathan was crying...not good. After awhile, Grace said, "I'm not sad! Because I didn't pop my balloon!" Nice.
Benjamin was absolutely heartbroken, and after crying for awhile, he held up his balloon, gestured to me, and said, "Unh?" It clearly meant, "Can you fix it?" So of course I had to tell him that I couldn't fix it, that the balloon was broken. Then he was devastated again, would cry for awhile, and would try again - holding the balloon toward me and asking me to fix it, which of course I couldn't. Leave it to a sweet toddler to have faith that a mom could fix a broken balloon.
No comments:
Post a Comment