June 25, 2012

Benjamin's 18-Month Checkup...and Delays

Today was Benjamin's well-baby checkup.  He has gained about 4 lbs. in the past six months, so he's 29 lbs. 6 oz., 33 1/4" tall, and a huge head, as always.  The doc is happy with his growth.  I knew I was lifting a heavy boy!

Benjamin's checkup did not go as I had hoped.  To make a long story short, his doctor told me that I need to have him evaluated to check on his gross-motor delays, speech delays, and low muscle tone.  She asked lots of questions and was happy with most of my answers (no, he doesn't have bowel issues, no, there is no history of missing teeth in the family that would explain his weird tooth order, there is no  family history of muscle issues or disease in the boys, etc.)  But, she was not happy with his lack of words or his performance in the office.  He wouldn't stand or walk for her - he would cruise a bit and mostly cry.  He was not happy to be there.  And he didn't babble.  He still only has three words.  Although I realize that he is doing things later than a lot of his peers, his in-office performance today was also not very impressive.  I'm sure it was not reassuring to the doctor.  (I really miss our former pediatrician, who expected this type of behavior from Grace at this age.)

But of course, we got into the car, and he was babbling, and when we got home, he was walking around, climbing on and off of the little wooden rocking horse, copying the antics of his brother and sister, making sure I watched how funny he was being, communicating a lot despite his lack of words, responding to things I said, etc.  And then the doctor's office called and said we need to have labs done, too, to make sure there is "nothing else going on."

So, when the evaluation person returns my voicemail, we'll have him evaluated.  On the one hand, if there's any "issue" that I need to know about, I'd like to know now rather than later.  On the other hand, if there's a glaring problem that I've been overlooking, I'll feel terrible about that.  And no matter what results the evaluation brings, we'll adore Benjamin, just like we always have.

This reminds me, in a way, of Jonathan's two-year checkup, when his doctor suddenly decided that he had an asymmetrical skull that needed a CT scan, that he had a lazy eye that needed to be seen by an ophthalmologist, and that he had pigeon toes that needed to be examined by a specialist.  What an ordeal all that was, but I'm thankful to say he is perfectly fine (although he wears glasses.)

Anyway, for those who have read this far and still can't get enough, at Jonathan's 18-month checkup, he weighed 30 lbs. and was 34 3/4" tall.  At Grace's 18-month checkup, she weighed 27 lbs., 5 oz., and was 32 1/2" tall.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Hey, friend. I'm sure there are some fears coming along with the visit on Monday (sorry it's taken so long for me to notice... as you can tell from my blog, I've been relatively absent from the blogosphere).
But as you said... he "performed" in his comfort zone. You might just have a little guy who isn't very pleased being removed from his comfort zone (and the influence of the big kids). Keep us posted.