After our first family camp experience last summer, we enjoyed it so much that we decided to continue the tradition this year. We have been looking forward to it all year, and we have been anticipating what will likely be our favorite week of the summer. Our kids are a little older and at very different stages now, so I think they each enjoyed it even more than last year. And even though Benjamin is at a very busy, mobile stage, and he wasn't mobile last summer, I think that having a willful toddler at camp is easier in some ways than having a nursing baby who needs a morning nap. We all had a wonderful week and were so thankful for our week in the forest to enjoy a beautiful setting, great teaching, time together, and friends, new and old.
I only took photos at random times this past week. Really, we were staying so busy (even if we were busy relaxing!) that I didn't document everything we did. But here are some moments that I thought were worth sharing.
Enjoying ice cream at the conclusion of the first day
Brothers!
Jonathan's first experience with air hockey (on a table that was turned on, anyway)
Benjamin and me on the train to the beach
Sometimes, this is just the way it goes. And, to be honest, one reason I don't have more pictures of the week is that a good deal of my time was spent with two younger children who were crying.
Benjamin with Jeff on the beach train
Finally here! Time to get off the train for some freezing cold time in the sand.
Jonathan
Grace
The cold didn't spoil their fun!
Did I mention that it was cold? I really was not eager to touch that water, but I did anyway...with my toes.
On the train back to camp. The kids were powerless against the rhythmic swaying of the train.
Yes...
Powerless.
Until the train stopped.
Jonathan on the ropes course with Jeff. It makes him more nervous now than it did his first time, but they still tackled part of it.
Even though he's growing up, he's still pretty adorable.
Time for an ice cream date.
Grace and Jeff on the last evening.
Our little buddy!
Jonathan on the giant slip and slide!
Boating on the creek.
Here Jeff is pretending to serenade me, which is cracking me up.
My favorite picture of the week, thanks to Jen...our crew at campfire. I think this is the only decent picture we have of all of us together!
It's hard to even list all the things that made our week at family camp great. Of course I loved taking the week off from cooking, cleaning, dishes, etc. And I loved having time to read (A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers and The Parting by Beverly Lewis were the books I started and finished this week.) Both the morning and evening speakers were excellent, and I loved being able to listen to them without trying to keep my kiddos in line, and knowing that they were learning great Truth at the same time that I was. Family camp is a great time for Jeff and I to step back from everyday life and think about what is really important to our family. We loved spending time with friends from last year and meeting new friends, too. We were able to spend some grownup time while the kids had their own fun. My list of great things about the week isn't well-organized or even very coherent, but it really was a refreshing week in the woods, and I'm so thankful we were able to go.
Jonathan and Grace were both broken hearted about leaving. After the closing program on Friday night, he was in tears because he was so sad to leave. And on Saturday morning, she was telling me that she wanted to stay. (Interestingly, Jonathan wanted to stay at family camp with Benjamin only, and said he could take care of Ben. Grace wanted to stay all by herself. Hmmmm...) I figure that if both of our kids who know how to talk are asking not to leave, and then asking to come back as soon as possible, it was a great week.
I've washed six loads of laundry upon our return home, and I have one to go. I think that will be all...except for folding it and putting it away...
Oh, and I should mention that there was one casualty this week. I broke my iPod screen. I really shouldn't have brought it to camp...I didn't need to...but I did anyway. Sigh... It was a nice Christmas present. This is why I don't own expensive technology-type items. Usually.













1 comment:
Yay for another week at Family Camp! Though we didn't share any pictures this year, I'm sure glad we got to share memories! :)
One last load of laundry to go...:)
Post a Comment