December 23, 2014

A Christmas Tradition With Only One Picture

Since 2007, we have been getting together with Dave, Jen, Ella, and Delia to make Christmas cookies and kick off the Christmas season.  Sometimes it's early in the season…sometimes late…sometimes the kids love decorating…and sometimes they'd rather play.  But, it's always a tradition that we love, and we're thankful for times like this with our dear friends, especially now that we don't live a few blocks from them.

This year, Dave and Jen hosted, and just the kids and I attended because Jeff was pretty wiped out.  (This was the same day as the family Christmas gathering at our house.)  Jen had the brilliant idea to decorate huge pretzels with melted white chocolate and sprinkles.  All the kids could do it, and they all wanted to do it, too!  This is the only picture I got, and it only includes Dave's hands, but you can use your imagination.
Not only that, but Dave and Jen's family was so very kind and thoughtful to have birthday gifts for the boys and me!  Benjamin got a wooden garbage truck (which is still sleeping by his bed every night, by the way) and the book Trashy Town, which he and I love.  Jonathan and I got gift cards to stores that are fun for us (Lego and IKEA!)  Best of all, though, was the gift of time with friends.

And, because it's the way I am, I included links to cookie decorating in years past.  2007 was our first year, and I'm pretty sure we skipped 2008 because Jeff and Jonathan and I traveled.  2009 …and more 2009 was the first year with Grace, but she obviously did not decorate cookies.  Here's what I have for 20102011, and 2012, but I cannot find a post about 2013, no matter where I look.  My consistency and level of detail in my blogging has deteriorated, so maybe I didn't blog about it?  Shame on me, because I really love looking back at our memories.  Sigh…at any rate, we're so thankful for our time with friends and these little traditions that are a big deal to us!  Thank you for hosting us, Dave and Jen!

And…an update.  I looked back at last year's pictures, and we did get together to make cookies.  I can't remember why I didn't blog about it.  Maybe because the pictures were not great?

Maybe because the cookies in cupcake molds took a really long time to bake?


Maybe because I was irritated at Jonathan for ruining a cute picture?
Who knows.  I never regret blogging too much…but many times I regret the times I didn't take the time to record our special times together.  And, we are not a perfect family, as you can see above.  But, I sure do love these kiddos…both the ones in our family and in Dave and Jen's!

1 comment:

VM Family said...

I too am guilty of choosing not to blog about certain memories because I don't like the pictures that go with them. But I love everything about this post including the "not great" pictures! :)

Actually seeing the pictures from last year reminds me that we did a pajama party for the kids. What fun-- I LOVE that too!