May 11, 2016

Kauai, the Pearl Harbor Part

Since we were so close to Pearl Harbor, which might be once in a lifetime, we wanted to give our moms the opportunity to go.  My mom wanted to go and Cheryl didn't, so I went with my mom.  It's a whole lot easier to take a quick and inexpensive flight to Oahu when you're in Kauai the when you're on the mainland!

And yes, they do have these at Starbucks.  I didn't bring any home.

Mom did my hair for me almost every day, even in the airport.



We were so thankful for the opportunity to take in this amazing place and piece of history.  It was so moving, just like the last time I was there.





So, so, so many names of people who died here.



While Mom and I were exploring Pearl Harbor, Cheryl wanted to go on a snorkeling boat tour, so she took Jeff and the kids.  They had an amazing time.











I think that seeing dolphins in person made this the best day of Grace's life.










Mom and I were hugely delayed on our flight back.  So, the day didn't go quite as we expected, and the kids were exhausted, hungry, and done.  But, exhausted in Kauai is better than exhausted at home!



And this picture is from the next day, but it's worth remembering.   Apparently, on the boat tour, there was a lot of food, and the kids enjoyed eating it.  They also enjoyed feeding it to the fist, especially the cinnamon rolls.  (I'm not sure how great an idea this was, environmentally speaking, but I'll leave that to the boat tour owners.)  When Jonathan was snorkeling, he had some cinnamon roll left on his finger, and a fish decided to make a snack out of it - the cinnamon roll AND his finger.  A tiny but memorable nibble!

No comments: