This morning, while I was trying to get breakfast for the kids...
Me, to Jeff: Benjamin woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!
Grace: What side of the bed?
Me: The grumpy side.
Jonathan: That's an idiom. We're learning about those.
Jeff: So, what's an idiom?
Jonathan: It's a group of words that don't mean what's in it. I didn't get it at first, but now...you know.
Tonight, while Jeff was trying to prepare for tomorrow's Cub Scouts meeting at our house. He was putting aluminum cans of water in the freezer.
Me: Won't they break?
Jeff: It'll contract, but it'll be OK.
Me: Water expands when it freezes.
Jeff: It does? Oh.
Me: So won't it expand, and break the cans?
Jeff: It'll be OK.
Jonathan: By nine percent. But I don't know what that means.
Jeff and I looked it up later, and, sure enough, water does expand by 9% when it freezes. Jonathan couldn't remember where he had read that interesting piece of trivia.
No comments:
Post a Comment