July 12, 2009

The Story of This Dress

Most of Gracie's clothes have been given to her, so most of them have a story. When I get her dressed, I usually get to think about the person who gave her the clothes (or gave them to Jonathan, if they belonged to him first.) So, know that I think of you often, you gift givers out there! This dress wasn't a gift, though-I bought this one myself.

In July of 2004, I had the sweet privilege of going on a girls' trip with dear friends. I was also expecting. During the trip, I let myself buy something for the baby for the first time. I was far enough along that it didn't feel quite so risky as it had early on. I went to Gymboree with the girls and bought a couple of things that were on clearance: one for a girl and one for a boy. Our baby was a boy, of course, so Jonathan wore the boy thing, but I saved the girly outfit. Now Grace can wear it. It's really special to see her in the dress and remember the time I spent with girlfriends on that trip. Both of our kiddos have been eagerly awaited for a long time, so pieces like this dress make me really happy when I see our sweet girl wearing them.

Since I wasn't blogging at that time, and since I'm enjoying reminiscing about the trip, I'll share a couple of pictures.
Here I am with Cherissa, Anna, and Laura. We're meeting up to drive together (in good old Toto) to Kansas City and meet our other friend, Sarah, there. (Note Hobby Lobby in the background. It would be nice if they'd build one here. Or a really big JoAnn. But that's another story.)


Here we are for the one dress-up dinner we had together: Cherissa, me, Anna, Sarah, and Laura. At the time, there were three kids (and one on the way) between us. Now there are eleven! We didn't all go to college together at the same time, but we have all bonded through different connections in different ways. All these girls are special to me individually and as a group, too.

Last October, we were thrilled to take a second trip together. Sarah couldn't make it because her youngest baby was too young for her to leave home for long. We understood but missed her. I had the best time with these women, and our friendships have matured just as we have. I really hope we get to do another trip together someday.

1 comment:

The Frugal Muse said...

Ahhhhh... I'm just catching up on blogs after this crazy week, and this post just made me smile and then smile some more. Such sweet memories!

So sweet to realize that God knew that little dress was intended for the one and only Gracie all along!