Less than half an hour later when Jeff went to make sure the bikes were put away, he noticed that there was water dripping from the laundry room ceiling through the air vent and the exhaust fan. Jonathan's bathroom is above the laundry room. It was "raining" in the laundry room and the garage. Jonathan's bathroom was a lake. By this time, our wonderful small group was here. Jeff and Michele jumped to action with towels and the shop vac and helped us figure out where the wet places were. Lauren the babysitter was already taking care of the kids, although I pulled Jonathan from his play to help clean up his mess. Sal and Michelle helped us with insurance and brought some fans. Jeff went next door because our next door neighbor works for a restoration service and he got started on the process. I can only imagine what would have happened if we had this mishap without help...or when we had been gone all day...or even if Gracie had been awake. She was already in bed and slept through the LOUD chaos.
It's going to be loud chaos here until Monday morning. Gracie's room was unaffected, thank goodness. Our room was also unaffected. We can go into either of those rooms or Jeff's office and close the doors to escape some of the sound! The carpet is lifted (and soggy carpet pad removed) in both the upstairs and downstairs hallways, Jonathan's room, and the stairs. The laundry room and his bathroom are linoleum, so they're not lifted. The water was in the upstairs floors, in the walls, the downstairs ceiling, the attic, and the downstairs ceiling (including the garage ceiling. It sounds like a lot but it could have been so much worse. We haven't found important belongings (like pictures) that have gotten wet. It's just towels and carpet (and, of course, walls-we don't know what the repair story will be on those yet.)
Gracie is sleeping and Jonathan and I are watching Boz. Today is definitely a day for a video. I'm thankful for baby monitors with lights because it's so loud in here that, even with the sound turned way up, I can't hear the monitor.
The stairs with Jonathan and one of the many fans. And some of our pictures that are off of the walls. Thanks to Michele for helping me get pictures off of wet walls!
I took a picture of this because it's what they do with one of the dehumidifiers. They drill holes into inaccessible places (like our linen cabinet upstairs-we have a cabinet, not a closet!) and inject dry air while sucking out the moisture. Lots of water went under this cabinet and downstairs through the walls.
Looking into the playroom, sort of. The playroom was unaffected.
Jonathan's room straight ahead, Grace's on the left, and the bathroom on the right. I guess this provides lots of white noise for Grace!
Downstairs hallway with the laundry room down on the right. I can get into the laundry room, barely, which is good. I'm washing lots of soggy towels.
Happy anniversary! ;)
2 comments:
Oh my, what an ordeal! Who would have thought such a little thing (a swimsuit) could cause such a huge headache! It must be very frustrating to live like this right now, hang in there Amy! And at least you get new carpeting! :)
xoxo..this too shall pass!
Post a Comment